I suck. Yup, I am 200% sure that I am doing this all wrong and that my kids are going to grow up to be drug dealing hookers or even worse, that they’re going to hate me. Like yesterday for example. Here’s allllllll the crap I did wrong yesterday:
1. I forgot to tell Zoey to brush her teeth before school (total lie, really I remembered but I was super busy and just didn’t feel like dealing).
2. I told Holden I’d play with him. Then after like five minutes I left because I had to switch the laundry over. Then I left again because I heard the squeak of the mailbox. And then I left AGAIN because the dryer dinged so I had to stop playing and fold the laundry before it got all wrinkly.
3. I didn’t sign Holden up for any activities on Wednesdays so we could hang out together, but really us hanging out has turned into me schlepping him on errands while he constantly whines, “Are we done yet?”
4. When Zoey got home from school I didn’t tell her to do her homework and instead I let her watch television and when she asked me if I wanted to watch with her I said I couldn’t because A. I had to take a conference call and B. Her shows are mind-numbingly boring.
5. I was too tired to cook dinner so I ordered pizza instead. And when I called to place the order, the pizza guy asked me if I wanted to order the same thing we had two nights ago.
6. I didn’t put a veggie on the kids’ plates because, you know, pizza is made with tomatoes. Oh, and I purposely put my hubby next to my son at dinner because he’s wayyy more difficult and still begs to have his food cut up.
7. I didn’t believe Holden when he said his tummy was hurting after dinner and then he threw up all over the place and it even splattered my shins. Karma.
8. I asked my hubby to give the kids a bath while I pretended I had to poop so I could hide out and read my new People magazine.
9. I read the kids a bedtime book but they picked the longest one they could find so I skipped at least half the words and maybe even a few pages.
10. I sang Row Row Row Your Boat to Holden at warp speed because all I wanted to do was collapse on the couch and vedge out in front of the TV as soon as possible.
And here’s the irony of it all. This long list of stuff I did wrong is SUPER SHORT compared to the list of stuff I did right (I’m not gonna bore you by writing that list because it would sound braggy and annoying).
Here’s my point. For some reason my brain forgets to think about the good stuff I do all day and tends to focus on all the bad stuff. Because that’s what moms do, right? Mom guilt.
The other day I posted something that said I felt bad because I wasn’t in the mood to push Holden on the swing and I asked other parents if they ever feel like they’re doing a crappy job and holy moly, the comments came pouring in. Within a couple of hours, there were well over 600 comments from other parents telling me allllllllll the ways they feel guilty throughout the day. And it made me realize something.
We are WAY too hard on ourselves.
Especially since our kids think we’re doing an amazing job. Yup, while we’re busy focusing on all the bad stuff, they’re absorbing all the good stuff. How do I know? I just saw this kickass video that made me feel sooooo much better about how I’m doing. Minute Maid put it out for their new #doingood campaign and it is totally awesome and helpful. Here it is. Wait, before you watch it, make sure you have a box of tissues on hand. Seriously, I dare you not to cry.
Okay, blow your nose and wipe your eyes because you don’t want to have blurry vision for this next part. Thanks to my awesome friends at Minute Maid and Coca-Cola, I get to give away a $250 Visa gift card to one of you!!!!!!!! Yayyyyyyy!!!! Woo-hooooo, I feel a little like Oprah right now. And YOU get a gift card, and YOU get a gift card, and YOU, wait, no, only one of you does, but that could be YOUUUU!!!
Alls you have to do to win this kickass Minute Maid prize pack is comment below or on the Baby Sideburns Facebook page and tell us a quick story about someone you know who’s doing an awesome job as a parent. It could be yourself, your own mom, your sister, your brother, anyone. And I’m gonna randomly pick one of you badass people to win. Eeny meeny miny YOU. And just for shits and giggles, I’ll throw in a signed copy of my book I Heart My Little A-Holes. Here are the rules in case you have lots of extra time and feel like reading something boring.
And don’t you dare forget to tell your mom what an awesome job she’s doing this Mother’s Day.
And please don’t forget to press the “like” button and/or the “share” button on this post. Thank you!!
This prize was provided by The Coca-Cola Company. The Coca-Cola Company and Fast Horse is not a sponsor, administrator or connected in any other way with this program.